The flood cell consists of 1273 hectares around the town of Orford, (generally the area seaward of Broad Street) and the two extensive marshes to the north east and south west. This flood cell accounts for approximately one quarter of the total length of walls in the estuary running from a point about one third of the way up the Butley River to just round the bend in the river at Slaughden. The land use of three-quarters of this large flood cell is made up of permanent and semi-permanent wet grasslands grazed by sheep, cattle and horses with some areas in Higher Level Stewardship. The existing field pattern through much of the Crag Farm section is medieval in origin and ‘Roper’s Marsh’ is designated as a possible medieval harbour site. Most dykes are choked reed-filled and contain freshwater flora and fauna of interest. A freshwater reservoir sometimes holds interesting bird species in winter. Wildlife habitat in floodplains behind the walls include ditches with reed buntings, little grebe and kingfisher, fields with hares, flight area of barn and short eared owls, range of birds including lapwing, egret, swans and varieties of gulls.
UPGRADE DESIGN PLAN
The map above and the upgrade design document below detail the work we need to do.
To Download the full plan, please click the link below
– Flood Cell 4 Upgrade Designs
– Ordnance Survey Map showing full extent of Flood Cell 4